Sunday, November 2, 2014

Logan's Lovin' the Good Life ~By Logan

Everybody wants a good life. This may sound obvious, but it still renders true. So what exactly constitutes what is, and is not considered a good life? Well, this is a very subjective topic, which will surely have many different answers; I think that it all comes down to happiness. In order to have a good life, in my opinion, one must be happy.
            
Of all things, I have found happiness in helping others. When I was in seventh grade, my younger brother was diagnosed with systemic onset juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, a form of arthritis that not only attacks one’s joints, but also their internal organs. When I first learned about the severity of his disease, I was at a loss for words, but from that moment on I knew what I wanted to do; I wanted to become a pediatric rheumatologist. I immediately put this plan into action, by starting to volunteer at the Arthritis Foundation. Though the work may not have seemed like a lot to most, I knew that I was helping the Foundation in a large way. Soon they assigned me a larger task; they saw the leader in me, and asked me to organize an event for families to come together and network. I gladly accepted this task, and when I saw the smiles of the people attending the event I was ecstatic. Knowing that I could help people, and bring them joy made me the happiest person on the planet.

If we fast-forward a few years to the present, I am still helping people, but now on a national level. The arthritis foundation has made me a committee member on the young adult committee for the National Juvenile Arthritis Conference in 2015. Now I am bringing people together from across the country to network and advocate for juvenile arthritis. I feel like I am truly making a difference now, and changing people’s lives, for the better, along the way.

My undergraduate experience, however, will not prepare me for ‘the good life’ because I am already living that. On the other hand, college will prepare me for a better life, by helping me reach my ultimate goal of going into pediatric rheumatology. Once I become a pediatric rheumatologist, I will have a chance to eliminate the pain that hundreds of children suffer from on a daily basis, and that will make me the happiest person on the planet.           

1 comment:

  1. Logan,
    Your essay brings tears to my eyes...with pride in the young adult that you have become. You are so much like your mom. She knew what her path would be when she worked with the Angelus House in St. Petersburg. At the age of 13 yrs. she decided to work with very young children in the special ed dept. and now she has an amazing career helping families of these children. I was so proud of her path as her mom, and I am so proud of yours as your grandmother. You will make an outstanding pediatric rheumatologist someday. You bring much joy and happiness into my life and I love you very much!

    ReplyDelete